Providing daily care for an elderly parent or spouse can be costly.
Adult day care can be an alternative to more expensive full-time care options.
Adult Day Care (5 days/wk): $18,200
Assisted Living (one bedroom): $45,000
Homemaker Services (44 hrs/wk): $47,934
In-Home Health Aide (44 hrs/wk): $49,192
Nursing Home (semi-private room): $85,775
Nursing Home (private room): $97,455
Source: Fenworth 2017 Cost of Care Study
Help is available!
Western Connecticut Area Agency on Aging (WCAAA)
WCAAA administers two programs that provide funding for family caregivers:
• The National Family Caregiver Program – for families caring for a person 60 and over
• The Statewide Respite Care Program – for those caring for someone with Alzheimer’s or another form of dementia
Connecticut Home Care Program for Elders (CHC)
Guidelines for Eligibility:
• 65 or older
• One to three critical needs, depending on level of program
• Income eligibility – Call DSS 1(800) 445-5394
• Connecticut Community Care Inc. (CCCI) (203) 596-4800
Other local grants are available.